Absorbable sutures are those that the body digests or breaks down in a relatively short time. Resorption can take from a week to several months. They are divided into two types:
- Synthetic absorbable sutures are those that are made of synthetic polymers as PGLA, PGA, PDO, PCL… hydrolysed by water, which causes the breakdown of the polymer material.
- Natural absorbable sutures are made from collagen of healthy mammals (cow, sheep, goat), known as Surgical Gut (Catgut). Catgut sutures break down via the action of the body’s enzyme and are absorbed.
Technical characteristics of Absorbable Sutures manufactured by CPT
- Uniform diameters, extra smooth surface, flexible, pliable, easy handling
- No tissue-drag, smooth passage though tissue
- Sterile, excellent biocompatibility: non-toxic, non- allergenic, non-irritant, non-pyrogenic…
- High tensile strength exceeding USP requirements
- Excellent knot security, predictable absorption rate, completely dissolved, no foreign material left inside the body, no need to remove stitches
- Surgical needles made of AISI 302 (300 series stainless steel) with highest hardness (for threads attached with needles
What material is used for dissolvable sutures?
- Polyglactin (PGLA) or Poly(glycolide-co-lactide acid)
- Polyglycolic Acid (PGA)
- Polydioxanone (PDO)
- Poliglecaprone (PGCL, PLA-PCL) or Poly(glycolide-co-caprolactone)
- Polyglyconate or Glycolic acid and Trimethylene Carbonate
- Catgut (Collagen taken from serosa of beef intestine or submucosa of sheep intestine)
How long does it take for stitches to dissolve?
Wound support and absorption time can vary. Most suture types start to dissolve within one or two weeks, or up twelve weeks to disappear completely. Some may last for 6-7 months or even longer.
1 – Short-term absorbable suture thread
- CARESORB® RAPID – Polyglactin 910 equivalent to Vicryl Rapide or CARESYN® RAPID – Polyglycolic Acid equivalent to Safil Quick. Wound support: 7-10 days, complete resorption: 42 days
- TRUSTIGUT® (N) – Plain Catgut. Wound support: 7-10 days, complete resorption: 70 days
2 – Mid-term absorbable suture thread
- CARESORB® – Polyglactin 910 equivalent to Vicryl. Wound support: 30 days, complete resorption: 56 – 70 days
- CARESYN® – Polyglycolic Acid equivalent to Safil. Wound support: 30 days, complete resorption: 60 – 90 days
- TRUSTISORB® – Polyglecaprone 25 equivalent Monocryl or Monosyn. Wound support: 21-28 days, complete resorption: 90 – 120 days
- TRUSTIGUT® (C) – Chromic Catgut: Wound support: 14-21 days, complete resorption: 90 days
3 – Long-term absorbable suture thread
- PROTISORB® – Polydioxanone (PDO) equivalent to PDS II or Maxon: Wound support: 60-90 days, complete resorption: 180 – 210 days